Find Your Perfect Gel
A gel is the perfect styling product to define and hold your curls for extra frizz control and longer wash days. You'll see different types of stylers that provide hold like gels, custards, jellys, gelles and pastes. We broke down these stylers based on how much hold they provide. The stronger the hold, the longer the curls will last looking defined.
What's the difference between a cream and gel?
They're both styling products that define curls, but creams will provide softer hold while gels can provide light, medium or strong hold. You can either choose to use one of them or together if you need extra hold and definition.
When do I use a gel?
Since gels are stylers, they are used at the end of the styling routine. (If you're using a leave in and/or cream, use the gel after.) (If you're only using a gel, apply it after rinsing out / squishing your conditioner)
*IMPORTANT NOTE: How much hold the product provides will also vary by the way you use the product. You will typically get less of a hold or a cast if you style on super wet hair, applied too much product under the gel, applied too little of the gel, or if your hair is over moisturized.
Typically provide shine, moisture, definition and a more natural or soft look to your curls.
* For those who don't want a cast feeling.
*Bounce Curl's Light Creme Gel, Curl's Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly, Curl's So So Def Vitamin C Curl Defining Jelly and Inahsi's Coconut Avocado Curl Defining Custard contain protein.
Provides the perfect balance between light hold and strong hold. You may or may not get a cast from these gels, but your curls can last and hold up for a couple of days.
* If this is your first time purchasing a gel, start out with a medium hold gel.
* Holy Curls Gel and Flora & Curl Curl Defining Gel contain protein.
* Olew's Curl Defining Gel contain natural protein from maca root extract.
Stronger hold gels will give you wash days that last longer. Most of the time, strong hold gels will leave your hair in a cast (a light crispy layer) once it dries, you will need to "Scrunch Out The Crunch" using your hands or a light oil only after hair is 100% dry to remove the cast and add softness back into the hair.
* Highly recommended for looser hair types (Wavy hair or looser curls) that can't hold a curl long.
* Recommended for very frizzy hair or if you want to wash your hair less often.
* Typically strong hold gels have protection against humidity.
* Ecoslay's Orange Marmalade Gel contains natural protein from flaxseed.
Edge Control Paste
Edge Control Pastes are used smooth out and slick down unruly edges, tame frizz & out of control curls when making a Sleek look (ponytail, bun, etc). Can also be used to finger coil curls at the hairline. Best used with an Edge Brush.
*Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Paste contains protein.